HPS Epicurean LLC
HPS Epicurean is a third-generation company specializing in the importing and marketing of international spirits and culinary specialties. They are dedicated to developing a portfolio that embodies the fusion of culinary arts, spirits and wine. HPS aspires to establish a company that is truly epicurean by fostering a fresh perspective and appreciation for the finer artisanal side of life.
Founder and CEO Henry Preiss is a long time industry veteran who sold his highly successful company, Preiss Imports, in 2008. Through his leadership, knowledge and enthusiasm, Henry perpetuated his family legacy as an award-winning pioneer in the premium spirits industry. His vast experience and comprehensive network enabled products from international suppliers to thrive in virtually every market in the US.
- In what year did HPS Epicurean begin operation?
Nov. 1, 2012
- How do you define success? Are you “there” yet?
We aren’t there yet but we are within a hair of being in the black after growing our distribution in 26 states. We view ourselves as old school merchants. You come to us because you do not want the same things others are selling.
Success to us is hearing from customers about the products we supply and that they like what we are doing.
- How long did it take to be successful? What challenges did your face in establishing your company?
The challenges are endless and there are new ones each and every day. That said, we now work with 20 suppliers on products from alcoholic beverages to gourmet foods.
I am a veteran of the beverage industry and we maintain a lot of contacts within the industry. This gives us an advantage in presenting our new portfolio. The challenge is to get consumers to find us and try our products. We have carefully chosen our portfolio and sales and profits indicate that approach is resonating with our customers.
Establishing a brand new company is always a big job. Decisions about software programs, suppliers, roads to new markets, and financing options demand professional thought. Financing options were so few we are self-financed. Our enthusiastic employees all want to be with us on this journey.
- How long did your initial roll-out for the above product line take (months or years?) and how much did it cost? ($5,000? $20,000?) What kind of funding was available to you?
We have multiple brands and the roll out comes incrementally in each state. The costs are different for each brand and distributor.
- Please share your insights and advice for new to industry companies. Make sure you know where you as a company fit in a crowded market, that you have enough financing to survive, and be ready to work until you drop.
- How do you define your “vision”? Where do you want to be in 5 or 10 years?
Easy enough for us. Our vision is to represent companies that are driven by the same vision we have and that is to have Heart, Passion and Soul.
- How would you define your exhibitor experience in the 2016 Specialty Food Association Winter Show? What was your total investment (booth, travel, drayage, promotion, etc?)
$5,000. It was a good show but we mostly focused on brands that are already thriving and known.
- How did participation in the Show impact your business? Will you be participating in the 2016 Summer Fancy Food Show in New York City?
Minimal impact for us. We may be at the summer show.
Henry Preiss, Founder
432 Maple Street, Unit #4
Ramona, CA 92065
760-789-9000 Website: hpsepicurean.com